Saturday, July 21, 2018

500 miles

442 miles, actually. Or more accurately, 712 km according to Google.

That is how much driving we did after we got home from the beach. Michelle and I drove to Colmar, France, took the train into Strasbourg and back, drove to Trier, Germany the next day, and home later that evening.

What a fabulous two days!

David and I had been to Strasbourg ten years ago the month before we got married. I had absolutely loved it there, especially the cathedral. I've been intending to go with the family this whole time, but it just didn't seem like a day trip. It was so nice of him to let me take my sister who, in spite of all her travels to France, hadn't yet been to Strasbourg or Colmar. So we got a room in some guy's apartment through Airbnb. It felt a little bit weird, but since it was the two of us, I thought it would be fine. It was just fine. In retrospect, I think we were overcharged and should have gotten a hotel for that price, but in general, it was acceptable. And Colmar was simply adorable. Just look at the pictures!!

It was so so SO nice to travel alone with Michelle. It was so nice of David to let us do that together. Strasbourg was as beautiful as I had remembered, perhaps even more so with the help of Google Trips. (I highly recommend that app any time you go anywhere!) And traveling with just Michelle was so easy! And so pleasant! And so adult-like! I loved it. I can easily admit that it was very hard traveling with the whole family in Paris. It was so difficult, it may have even shocked Michelle at first. It's not that the kids are bad by any means. But there are quite a few of them, and they are pretty young! In fact, I was very surprised to hear Michelle say that she probably wouldn't do two years in Germany if she were in my shoes right now. But that's just a gauge of how difficult it is to travel with the four little kids. Visitors, beware!! Lol.

I know one thing from now on. Michelle is a perfect travel partner. She's a delight to be around (but I've known that for a while).

I wasn't exactly sad to be going home and getting back to reality. But part of the reason for that was because I knew I still had one more special day with Michelle all to myself, and I was really looking forward to it.

Okay, so about Colmar.  Colmar is AMAZING.  Do I use that word too often?  Colmar has a restored Dominican church dating to the early 14th century displaying notable Alsatian art works (thank you, Google Trips).  I've posted a picture of one of the pieces of art in that church, and it is so extremely detailed.  Who do you think is the man behind Jesus?  At first I thought it was a woman, but his head isn't covered like all the others, so it must be a man.  Notice he has a halo.  St. Peter?  St. John?  I'm not sure.  Notice the expression of the guard to the right of Jesus.  Isn't that an interesting expression?  I wonder what the artist was trying to convey with that.  And look at the boy who's wearing jester pants.  Notice his sign? So interesting!

Colmar was interesting also because it is the birthplace of the French sculptor who designed the Statue of Liberty.  There was a miniature Statue of Liberty at the town entrance.

It was also interesting because it was so cute, full of half-timbered houses along a little river, an area dubbed "Little Venice." It was a joy to see and to walk around.

Alsatian painting
Dominican church.  The stones were very orange
Detail inside Dominican church
Additional detail

Colmar, France.  Beautiful little town
Boutique cafe
Shopping detail
Funny mannequin

3 comments:

  1. That's most likely John behind Jesus with Mary. John was often painted without a beard (because he was young) and he had the care of Mary after Jesus died...in The Passion of the Christ John is portrayed as helping Mary and Mary Magdalene get near Jesus several times. I'm trying to look it up, but so far, no luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good logic, Wendy! I totally agree with you. He also has his hand on Mary, which would be another clue since he "became" her son after the Cross. So it makes sense to me.

      Delete