Sunday, October 1, 2017

In Tel Aviv

I'm in love with Tell Aviv. I really really want to go back. With my husband, God willing.

It has been a great week. From Sunday to Wednesday I had evenings only. (I say "only" as a description but not with disappointment.) My nights were full of wonder: new places, new foods, and best yet, new friends. I was paired with a Major who is a fabulous defensive driver and two wonderful female soldiers. All three of them seem to be incredibly well-traveled, highly educated, kind, noble, and gracious. Getting to know them a little bit has been the highlight of my week.

But it has been a week of highlights!!

I stayed at the Sheraton Tel Aviv, which is listed as a 5-star hotel. What makes a hotel a 5-star hotel, I wonder? Is it because it's on the beach? Because it has robes and slippers? Because it has an evening turn-down service that puts chocolates on your bed? Because it has a great breakfast? I don't know if I would call the Sheraton 5-stars, but it had all of the above. The rooms were decent, but the city itself was pretty fantastic. Trust me, I hope I can go back to that hotel someday.

The first day I did indeed get to visit the Mediterranean (so warm!) and eat some shawerma. It was a great night! The next day we went to lunch in Ashdod for some delicious falafel. I knew Ashdod was referenced in the Bible, but I had to look it up. It was mentioned many times, actually, and is the site of a very interesting story from 1 Samuel chapters 4 - 6 (go read it and don't forget!).

Looking back and thinking about that location and the story in 1 Samuel, I consider the Israelites who lost the first battle in the story and then decided to "use" the ark of the covenant to win the next battle (read it for yourself!). It makes me think about something someone said to me this week about faith and how it gives people peace and solace. And I agree. My faith in God definitely gives me peace and solace. But I have to say that this is not the main reason that I have faith. I'm not a person of faith so that I can "use" my faith to give me peace or strength or confidence or anything like that. Rather, I'm a person of faith because of who Jesus is, and because of who God is.

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, and I loved you." (Jeremiah 1:5)

"Nothing can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38, 39, paraphrased)

"God is love, and anyone that knoweth God, loveth God." (1 John 4:7)

And to sum it up:

"We love Him because He first loved us." (1 John 4:19)

The real reason I have this faith is because God cares about me personally. This holy, righteous God took the form of a man some 2000 years ago and suffered sufferings beyond my comprehension so that I COULD have a personal relationship with Him.

In the story in 1 Samuel, the Israelites tried to use God for their gain. We sometimes do that today. Sometimes we expect God to keep us healthy, or prosperous, or safe, yet we forget what Peter said about suffering. Sometimes we are afraid to suffer, yet sometimes God uses suffering to accomplish His goals.

Here are Peter's words:

Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin. (1 Peter 4:1) And:
But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.(1 Peter 4:13) And:
So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good. (1 Peter 4:19)

That last verse, you will note, says, "those who suffer according to God's will", meaning that sometimes, He intends us to suffer!

My worst case scenario would be watching my kids suffer. I would suffer more if they were suffering and I couldn't help them than if I were suffering in some way specific to me. I mentioned this to Michelle (my sister) recently in an email, and she wrote this to me:

"In the old testament we see over and over again that when the Isrealites were keeping God's commands they were generally prosperous and either peaceful or blessed in their war efforts. When they turned to other gods, they suffered consequences. I think it's important to stay humble and seek God's favor during all seasons. Even then, we may suffer trials because God tests us to bring us closer to him."

Last night while packing up, I listened to Nace's (my brother's) sermon from 10 days ago titled, "Embracing Suffering." In it, he asked us to ask ourselves a very difficult question. I leave it with you now: "What am I doing today to suffer for the gospel?"

The answer for me is: I don't know? I think I'll have to get back to him on that. I mean, of course it's between me and God. And of course I want to always be doing God's will and be in His will. But I find it difficult to be in the world but not of it. It is easiest and most comfortable to rely on my current friends and family who are like-minded and (basically) love me without condition, which, in a way, separates me from the world. Instead, perhaps I need to develop some less comfortable relationships with people who are not of a similar mindset. Perhaps God is telling me it's time to step out of my comfort zone.

Perhaps He tells you the same thing?


Panorama from hotel balcony
Night-time panorama from hotel balcony

2 comments:

  1. Both of our hotels were supposed to be 5 star. I don't know what that means either, really. I've stayed mostly in 2 stars all my life, maybe 3 star and there wasn't a huge difference between those and the ones we stayed in...except nothing was broken. ;) Seriously, they were noticeably nicer, but maybe what I think of as being five star and other people think of being five star is the difference? (We didn't even get chocolate!) The second hotel we were at, though, I would not have even said five star...more like, maybe, four. I think saying it was five is pushing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures and love your testimony. Keep them coming. Love and miss you-Mom

    ReplyDelete