Monday, October 9, 2017

The Peace of Jerusalem

Jerusalem, looking exactly as I had pictured
I can't adequately express how grateful I am that I got to go to Jerusalem for a day. It was all so beautiful, and there was so much to see. I saw a lot for being there for only one day: The Western Wall, the Via Dolorosa, the Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu, steps and steps of markets, and we found a great place to eat lunch.

I call it beautiful because that is what I kept thinking the whole time I was there. I couldn't figure out why I found it to be so beautiful, until I read something that my friend Wendy put in her post regarding her trip there: "We had been in our spiritual home and fell in love with it." Yes, that was me, too, and I only had one day there.

Did you know that we're commanded to pray for Jerusalem?

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:
    “May those who love you be secure.
May there be peace within your walls
    and security within your citadels.” (Psalm 122:6, 7)

People have been asking me if I felt safe while I was there. The answer is yes and no. I believe that I mentioned that I was put in a car that was being driven by an Army Major who had taken hands-on antiterrorist defensive driving. That certainly made feel safe. But at one point while we were walking the Road to the Cross, two Arabic-speaking men got in a fight, and the walkway was so narrow that we couldn't get around them safely. It feels like it took 20 minutes, but maybe it was shorter. At that time, I did not feel safe. While I was at the Western Wall, I felt keenly aware that there was a risk of an incident, but at the same time, I felt like I was supposed to visit it, so whatever happened would be okay.

I do hope to return. I may not go to the Western Wall again, but I would certainly like to go to Jerusalem again. We shall see.

I missed David and the kids something awful. As thankful as I am for the opportunity, if I really had my way, I would find a job that doesn't require work-related travel. But it has not been so. That doesn't matter too much at this point because I am thankful for the job security that I have with the government. At least for now, I feel like I am in the place I am supposed to be. And I thank God because I know that my peace comes from Him.


The photos are in no particular order, and are not nearly all that I have to share. I think I'm going to have to create a link and share that later.

Inside the Church of the Flagellation
Ceiling at the Church of the Flagellation
Description at the Church of the Flagellation
City Wall
City Wall
Inside Jerusalem
Inside Jerusalem
Inside Jersualem
Inside Jerusalem: Old Roman Columns
When I asked the salesman if I could take pictures in his store, he said, "Of course. Of course! Like it's your home."
So I did.

At the Church of St Peter in Gallicantu

Outside the City Wall
Description at Gallicanu

Prison floor, or "Sacred Pit", possibly where Jesus and Peter were held (at different times). This is letter A above.
Church of St Peter in Gallicantu
Jesus likely walked on these steps. Even if this isn't actually Caiaphas' house, he probably walked these steps at least once.

2 comments:

  1. First, a question: while you were there, did you ever hear the call to prayer? I thought for sure we'd be hearing it constantly, especially since we were often near minarets, but I only heard it once.
    Second: the Roman columns are part of the Cardo. I have pictures too, but for a while I forgot what they were, so never mentioned it. Then I saw a reference somewhere else and it clicked. I guess it was the main street during the time of Jesus. I'll put a link here so I don't start a history lecture and bore everyone else!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardo#Jerusalem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I can share this. It's a video. The answer to your question is yes. I happened to be at St Peter's Church in Gallicantu, at the viewpoint, when it went off.

      I should have slowed the pan down, but I think it's still pretty interesting.

      https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gzzh0Uo2SemxNEp93

      Thank you for the interesting link on the Roman ruins! I have been in the habit for a long time of taking a photograph of the description so that I can remember what I photographed right before or after. As long as I take care of my pictures quickly enough, it seems to work.

      Delete