Friday, April 26, 2019

Doctors and hospitals in Germany

Unfortunately, I'm sitting in the doctors office waiting to be seen. I've been waiting for an hour and 53 minutes so far. I miss minute clinics so much right now!

Also unfortunately, I have had a great deal of experience with doctors and hospitals since I've been here the last 21 months: Alex had his adenoids removed and tubes put in his ears, the kids have had their fair share of infections, the family has had 21 diagnosed infections of strep this winter, including one that put David in the hospital for four nights, and I underwent a liver biopsy not too long ago. I've also taken a friend to the emergency room and stayed with him until he got admitted.

So here are my thoughts on doctors and hospitals in Germany:

* Doctors really care about you. They take their time with you even when they're completely overwhelmed with a busy day. My GP even answers her email. That is so convenient for me because the language barrier at the front desk is difficult.

* As a general rule, the front staff really doesn't care about you. I have felt many times like I was a nuisance just because I or the kids got sick and needed an appointment. That hasn't always been true, and I have had some very helpful front staff, but the majority of the front staff have acted more like bouncers than health care people.

* I think that Germans don't care too much about suffering. I don't think they're insensitive, but I do think they're pragmatic about it. It's kind of convenient in a way, because then you pretty much know that if you're being treated, you need it.

* I also think they're very averse to the use of antibiotics. I believe that's why we've had strep so many times this year. They keep giving us 7-day doses that just aren't long enough. If it shows up again, I'll be throwing a fit.

* Surprising to me, they don't automatically provide sheets, blankets and pillows. At the biopsy, I rested on a hospital bed without a sheet, pillow, or blanket. I was on my side for an hour, and luckily had my fluffy scarf to rest my head on. I later recommended to my doctor that he should advise his American patients accordingly, but he said all I would have had to do was to ask for this. In the U.S., our wonderful nurses are always asking if we need anything. Not to mention, all the other patients there had their own blankets and pillows. During David's stay in the hospital, they were provided and he was in a nice room. Maybe it's an out-patient thing.

* There is no discretion or privacy here. Americans are prudes, it's true. Here in Germany, during my routine physical, I had an EKG, and the boy (maybe he was 20) who gave it turned his back briefly while I took off my shirt and bra. No robes or sheets for covers or anything. I've heard it would be a similar experience with a female doctor, which I've opted to pass on since I'm returning to the U.S. in only a few months. Just now, I had an x-ray, and it was the same. This time, they did have a closet for me to disrobe in private.

* Along those same lines, they interrupt all the time no matter what. I was getting a sonogram for my liver, so my shirt was mostly up, and one of the assistants kept coming in until the doctor (who studied in the U.S. and knows that Americans are prudes) finally told her to stop coming in, she would only be 5 more minutes. Interruptions also happened multiple times during my EKG. It's not that they don't respect privacy. They just don't expect it. It isn't rude, but it is a little awkward compared to what I'm used to.

... Update. I waited for two+ hours for the doctor, but it was worth the wait. I went for an x-ray to rule out pneumonia. Thankfully, it was bronchitis and not pneumonia. But I have to say, contrary to what I said above, this doctor put me on strong antibiotics for 10 days, with a 3-day dose of an additional antibiotic, a steroid inhalant, and a couple other things to help me feel better. I am so ready to feel better!! I was sick for 16 days!

Because of my diagnosis, I had David take Lilly to the doctor. RSV! Argh! We need a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment