Thursday, April 11, 2019

Bratislava (what did we forget this time?!)

For spring break, we are on a vacation that takes us to Bratislava, Vienna, and Garmisch.

We reserved an Airbnb in what appeared to be a very good location with a very big apartment. And it was both. Livvy had her own room and really seemed to enjoy it.

We left the house at about 3:15 a.m., which was only about 15 minutes later than I had wanted to. I drove the eight hours, and we made really good time. One funny thing is that, a few weeks ago, I found a CD in my work folder labeled in my writing "Singing Songs". I must have made that CD more than 15 years ago. It still worked to keep me entertained while driving! (Poor David and kids!)

We arrived in Bratislava shortly after 11:00 a.m. We were able to check in right away, and we all took a short nap, and then went out to see some sights and grab a bite to eat. I feel bad when I travel because I always starve and dehydrate the kids.

The first thing we saw was Michael's Gate. It was pretty. We didn't go up it, but we walked around the square and then found somewhere to eat. After dinner, the boys were, I fear, on their absolute worst behavior. I think it was because of the really long drive. They had been too cooped up for too long. So after dinner, we went back to the apartment and everybody vegged out, and we went to sleep early, which was good considering how little sleep I'd had the night before. At least the very hungry children loved their dinner. I ordered halusky since it is the typical Slovak dish, and it was okay, but not my favorite. David had some beef with a special horseradish sauce, and it was delicious. It was a nice meal with a friendly waiter. David also tried some slivovitz, which is a plum brandy typical in Slovakia. Surprisingly tasty!

The next morning, I left before anyone woke up and went to see the sights that were on my list. I had to abandon the kids, and I'm so glad I did. I walked around that very small city for about 2.5 hours, and really enjoyed myself taking my time and lots of photos. It was a good morning, even though it was a little drizzly here and there throughout my walk. It was fun, and I had time to be efficient and fast. So nice!

When I got back, we all got ready and drove to Vienna. That was an adventure for the next post! But for once, I can finally say that we forgot nothing! What a pleasant surprise!

Interesting cityscape. The UFO looking structure is a lookout and restaurant.
Micheal's Gate, from the 13th century

The start of my solitary walk. Michael's Gate was deserted.

The witch puppet had exquisite detail.

The Blue Church of Bratislava. Amazing from all sides.


Bratislava is an interesting mix of modern and old.

A memorial to a revolution during WWII.

Cutest post office box ever. Bratislava may have the most character of any city I've visited thus far. That's hard to say, though.
The halusky, which was not my favorite.

My favorite graffiti. Alice in Wonderland, I think?

4 comments:

  1. It looks like their halusky isn't the same as the haluski we get here at festivals. Mom and Rob love it, I can't stand it. But the Houtzdale/Osceola Mills/Philipsburg area is heavily Slovak and so their is ALWAYS haluski available! Piroghi is also very popular around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I remembered haluski from when I was a kid! I was so excited to rediscover it, but it wasn't anything at all like the delicious thing I remember. I have to find it in that area again sometime and get the lowdown.

      Delete
  2. Oh. also...dehydration=bad stuff! I've been hospitalized for it. You don't want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly don't! I think we bought ten 1.5 liter bottles that day. Next trip, I'm bringing some with us!

      Delete