Sunday, April 14, 2019

Garmisch

Ready for the pool! The highlight of their trip.

We love Garmisch. We visited it for the third time as a family (fourth for me and David) over Spring break.

We didn't have the best weather ever, but it was nice enough to enjoy some incredibly beautiful scenery and to visit one of the most famous castles of all time (thanks in part to Walt Disney).

We love Edelweiss Lodge and Resort, too. I admit, it is nice to go there and comfortably speak English. But their customer service is incredible. The kids love the pool. We love the hot tub. And the location. Most of all, the location.

Last night, our last night at Edelweiss, probably ever (wiping away a tear), there was a fire, or threat of a fire, and we were evacuated at around midnight. The staff did an excellent job communicating and trying to make people comfortable while waiting in the drizzle. We waited in the car, and David acquired a comfy blanket for the kids to cuddle up with. David estimates that we were outside for at least an hour and a half. In my opinion, the staff did everything the right way, and so did the fire fighters, and it couldn't have been helped. Even still, Edelweiss offered its guests free breakfast this morning (which we naturally accepted!). That was a nice gesture, but given the obvious fact that it seemed out of their control, I didn't even think it was necessary.

So our first day there, David walked to the China King, and we enjoyed a night in after quite a long drive from Bratislava. The next day, we took it easy, and as promised, took the kids to the pool (for TWO hours!) after a trip to the grocery store (mainly for drinks--we were so dehydrated!). We are in the room again from Zuggy's Base Camp in the lodge--it's average American bowling alley food, but it was actually nice for a change.

Yesterday, we went to Neuschwanstein Castle, and it was lovely. I had reserved the tickets well in advance, and it was no problem whatsoever. I hauled Lilly on my back on the way up. I'm a bit out of shape for that right now, but it was still enjoyable for me (and Lilly, I think, in spite of her initial objections!). We enjoyed our castle tour, and took a horse and buggy ride back down, which the kids really enjoyed. (Except for Lilly. She was completely dead to the world with exhaustion!) After the drive back to Garmisch, we had a nice Italian dinner at a great restaurant named Celenteno. The risotto was wonderful! Then, of course, we took the kids to the pool again (for ALMOST two hours! and no, I don't think we waited an hour after eating!).

It was a great vacation. The kids enjoyed it. I enjoyed it. David enjoyed at least part of it. He also did all of the driving after my initial 8 hour stretch. That was nice!

We're home now. I admit, I'm looking forward to our next trip in two weeks! To the tulips!

 A rare photo of all of us. A kind woman offered to take our picture, and then explained, "I had four, too."
Thank you, kind lady!

The castle. Couldn't take pictures inside, but it is worth the trip.
Just outside of Garmisch.



No comments:

Post a Comment