Saturday, May 4, 2019

Zaanse Schans and Keukenhof Gardens



This weekend we're going to the Netherlands to see the tulips, so I'm praying that this time, no one is sick. I'm also coaching Livvy that I want her to wear the dress I give her to wear and to smile for the camera. I hope she does. I believe that when she is older, she will value this photo that I hope to take. I almost got it last year, but it was a big fight and the good memory isn't there for me.

We're staying at a Eurocamp for one night. I'm hoping it's as nice as the one we stayed in in Italy.  We were going to stay for two nights, and I was going to take Monday off, but I ended up signing up for training that week and couldn't take the Monday off. It's okay, though. Our timing has the potential to be perfect this year. Most of the sicknesses are out of our house (except for colds and allergies), and the weather has been fabulous. I hope it sticks!

... We went and came back. It was a great trip. We started out at Zaanse Schans, which was even prettier than I'd expected. The weather didn't cooperate at all there, though, and we found ourselves unprepared in a windy torrent of rain. It was neat to go into a real, working windmill. We spent just a short time there and then headed for the Eurocamp.

I had remembered that the advertisement mentioned a waterpark onsite. I wasn't sure if we'd get a chance to visit it, since we had so much to do (for me!) already. But then, somewhere in that timeframe, I realized I had recently archived one of my Keep notes that mentioned this place that is a must-visit for families with small kids, and it was called Duinrell, which was where we were going.

Thankfully, I had thought ahead enough not only to pack my and the kids' swimsuits, but also to have David pack his.

We all slept quite well in that cozy little Eurocamp that night. In the morning, we went for a breakfast buffet onsite, which was so nice and the coffee was delicious and they were friendly and people told us our kids were so good! Then we went back and changed and went to the indoor waterpark, which, by the way, was bigger and better than Great Wolf Lodge. It was a lot of fun, and thanks to the discount from Eurocamp, our entire family got in for a price of €30.

Two and a half hours was a good amount of time, and the kids willingly left like the good kids that they are when it was time to go. I was so glad we went. David and I had discussed if we should take them, and on the condition that he drove home, I was willing to let him drop me off at work the next morning for my training. So after the waterpark, we got changed and went to the gardens.

It was a very overcast day with a little mist of rain here and there, but Livvy was a doll and posed for every photo I asked her to. The lack of sunshine had a negative impact, but it was still a great day, and I happily got to take some flower shots in addition to kid shots. (Thank you, David!)

By the time I had my fill of the gardens, we were all starving, so on the way back to the Eurocamp, we stopped and got some Chinese food, which was really tasty. David and I discussed the thought of leaving earlier, around ten, and decided that would be a good idea. By the time we ate and got all of the kids in bed (they were exhausted!!), it was already 8:30, so we decided to start our journey immediately after all.

We all very quickly fell asleep, and David pretty much teleported us home (that's how it felt to the kids, at least). It was a great trip. We unloaded the van and got the kids to bed as quickly as possible. We didn't make the kids go to school Monday. I got enough sleep to handle work just fine, though. It was a really nice trip.









No comments:

Post a Comment