Sunday, September 2, 2018

Elderberry jelly



Sometimes you just have to do something simply because that's what Mom did.

The property I'm renting has these massive elderberry trees that I keep walking under. The berries were so beautifully ripe and sweet smelling. Every morning on my way to work, it made me think of my mom's elderberry jelly. I hated to see those luscious fruits going to waste, so I decided to make some of my own.

First things first, I had to verify that they were, indeed, elderberries. I ate two and didn't die. That was a good sign! Then I was able to find their exact type online: York elderberries, which according to this website are good in climate zones 3-9, meaning they can be grown in many parts of the world, including some cold parts. Finding them online made me more confident, so I asked David to harvest three pots for me while I went grocery shopping and he drained the puddlin' pool.

He did as I asked, and I filled the sink with water and dumped the berries into the sink. GROSS! You don't want to know how many spiders climbed out of the sink, and various other insects. (I really should have read the comments!) Thankfully, Alex is quite the bug man, so I called him, and he caught some for his net and helped me keep watch for the others trying to make their escape. When he got tired, Griffin joined me.

It took me an hour and a half to fill the bowl as high as I did. I hate to say it, but I threw away almost two of the three pots David had picked. I'll know better next time, I guess! I followed the jelly-making recipe at this site, and am at the moment letting them drain. I have to go to the store tomorrow and buy some jars and lids. The PX didn't have any, although at one time they had. I'm hopeful that Globus will come through for me.

Did you know that elderberry seeds have cyanide in them? That sounds kind of dangerous. I don't know how much, but I tried to be careful about picking up any dropped berries so Lilly didn't put them in her mouth. I feel like I remember eating them straight from the bush when I was a child, though.

Did you also know that elderberries are thought to be a natural anti-viral? Some people take elderberry syrup at the onset of the cold or flu. (I think I'll be one of those people while I'm here. I'll make a small jar for myself if I have enough.) Right now, I'm just hoping my jelly turns out the way it's supposed to. I'm looking forward to giving some to my mom, who made me elderberry jelly when I was a kid, and my step-mom, who makes us delicious strawberry jelly every year, and my sister, who always shares her delicious sweet pickles (boy, I could go for some of those!). And of course my mother- and father- and sister-in-law if they want some.  It will be so nice to give back for a change!

...It took me a whole week, but I finally processed all of that juice into some delicious elderberry jelly.  I'm so happy about it!  And the Weck jars that I found at Globus are just adorable.  Thank God it all came together!





All that work amounted to 4 cups of liquid.  Woo hoo!



4 comments:

  1. Fun, re-living some of your childhood memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think elderberries and cyanide is like apple seeds and arsenic. You'd have to eat tons to get sick off of it. And I ate elderberries by the handful when I was a kid, so I think Lily is safe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, also, I think if you picked more, get a big bucket and put them in that then fill it with water and let the bugs run for their lives somewhere where you don't have to deal with them so much.
    I've noticed we've not had many around here anymore. Rob said it was because they were planted along roads to hold embankments and they've gradually been cleared out. We're growing currants right now and I'm going to see if he'd like to get some elderberries to encourage more songbirds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that trick in the comments AFTER the fact. I doubt there will ever be a "next time", but I have to say that it turned out quite yummy!

      Delete