Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Worms!

By that, I mean the city in Germany where Luther was accused of being a heretic, not that my kids are infected with something alive like they were in this post, fortunately!

I mentioned that I was meeting my first boss in the Army for the first time since 2007. It was so fun to see and to catch up with Greg for the first time in over ten years. Worms is a small sightseeing location, but I was looking for something not too far from his hotel since I knew I was going to have an arduous day of travel the day before. (And it turns out, so did he.)

It was such a nice day! We saw several statues, including the memorial to Luther that had been built in the 1800s, two churches, and the Rhein River. The kids were NOT on their best behavior today, and that was frustrating, but it was probably at least in part due to the fact that I had been gone all week. We had a nice dinner at the Schnitzel Hut, which included, for perhaps the first time in anything except Italian restaurants around here, a genuine kids' menu. The kids got hamburgers, and they looked delicious!

After the Catholic Church declared Luther a heretic, he escaped in disguise to a remote castle, where he continued to write prolifically. He was, I read, one of the first people of fame who was not royal (we're talking 1521 for the Diet of Worms), and his friends helped get his papers printed and distributed throughout Germany.

Luther didn't intend to start a spiritual revolution. He wasn't seeking fame. But God used him in such a way that resulted in so many people knowing God personally as opposed to only knowing Him through a priest. How will God use you?  He already knows!

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  -Jeremiah 29:11

Inside Cathedral of St Peter
Ouch, dude.

Left: Cathedral of St Peter, Right: Church of St Martin
Proof: They love each other!

Martin Luther Memorial

World War I Memorial
Nibelungenturm. Pretty Place.



No comments:

Post a Comment