Sunday, September 9, 2018

On the plane

I can't believe I'm going to the U.S. today. I'm working through a weird sense of disbelief about it. Today and tomorrow I'm going to see my family! This week I'm going to spend time with my mom! I'm going to see my house! And I'm going to have Chick Fil A for the first time in about 15 months! I'll be able to speak English everywhere! That's ünglaubliches!!

It's going to be a crazy week. I'm actually coming for some training, and it's not even a boondoggle. I'm going to a class that gives me a certificate in U.S. National Security Risk Analysis. I think it's going to be a good, and potentially tough, class. Mom is going to spend some time with me and visit D.C. while I'm at class. I have about 36 hours, including 8 hours or more of driving, to see the rest of my family. It's going to be a tough weekend, but won't it be wonderful?

My incredibly fabulous sister is hosting brunch so that I can see Dad and Debbie and I think Steven, Kailey, and her husband. I'm so excited! First stop after getting the rental car is going to my sister-in-law's new house. Can't wait to see it and her and Pat and Jesse! This is such a blessing. And of course, thanks to David, who's holding down the fort for the week that I'm gone. He gets through it pretty well, usually, but it's been a while since I've been gone a whole week, and three of the kids are in school now, so there's a bigger morning hassle than he's used to from before. Good luck and thank you, honey!

I know I didn't give anyone but my family and two friends near to my training any advanced notice that I'm coming, and I hope you understand. My class doesn't let out until 1730 every day, and I'm spending every waking minute of free time with family (except Thursday when I'm getting ready to go home!), and I'm leaving on the Friday night red-eye flight. I do miss my friends! I'm hoping to have myself a big welcome home party next summer that I hope you'll attend!

For now, I'm blessed by this whirlwind of a trip home. I'm looking forward to the weekend and to the work week. Work has been so interesting lately, and so fast-paced, I can hardly keep up. That's the way I like it!

...I landed safely, and had an incredible dinner that my sister-in-law made with shrimp on the grill and delicious grilled vegetables. I also got to see Pat and Jesse, who got me a part for my van that I really needed and couldn't get from the incompetent Dodge dealer over there. Got to Michelle's and got to see my niece and meet her new husband. Stayed up until after midnight, which was effectively after 6:00 a.m. for me. Got a crazy deep six hours of sleep and am now looking forward to seeing my parents and spending more time with Michelle and Kailey today!!

...I've landed back in Frankfurt. It was such a good visit. My family made sure of it (especially Michelle. Thank you so much!). I didn't sightsee in DC like I had thought I would, but I got to spend time with Mom and one of my best friends, and that was lovely. The training was really good and interesting.

Oh yes. And you know I had Chick Fil A one day. And guess what? My memory had not inflated how good I think it is. It's so yummy!!

I'm so excited to see my family! And the weather is beautiful today, which is a nice respite from all the gray in DC from hurricane Florence. Tomorrow is exciting because I'm picking up my old boss for the day, and we're all going to Worms together. So cool!! No pictures in this post, but hopefully the next one!

4 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! Have so much fun (and hooray for CFA, lol)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki! It was exhausting but absolutely fabulous!!

      Delete
  2. That's great you got to come home for a little and catch up with family! Did it feel weird being back??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so weird! I kept waiting for the red light to change yellow and then being surprised by the green light when it didn't! Lol. I very much enjoyed walking into any store and speaking English and not getting judged because my German is so bad!

      Delete