Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Sitting in the waiting room

I'm sitting here and I have anxiety. My nerves are jingling, but at the same time, I have confidence that it will be okay. I'm surprised I'm nervous, actually.

Naturally, things were lost in translation for this appointment today. Last week, they told me they would call me the day before and tell me what time to come in. Of course they didn't. I left work early enough and called them, and fortunately they answered. I asked what time should I come tomorrow. They said, "Morgen". I said, "Welche Uhr?" Which is supposed to mean "which hour". They said 1200. I said, "mittag?" because I thought he was coming earlier. They said yes. Of course, this is my side of the story. I'm sure the office people have a different story they would tell! "Morgen" means tomorrow and morning, so that could be the main source of the confusion. But I don't know why mittag would have come into the conversation at all. Oh well. Doesn't really matter, and the ear doctor was kind about it. I appreciate him.

I show up, and his name isn't on the list at all. The lady then figures out that I'm late and should have come at 0730. Great. If you follow me on Facebook, you saw that they accommodated us. Fortunately! And that's why my nerves are jingling, because he's going under anesthesia.

That boy has been SO excited to eat popsicles, pudding, and ice cream and to be off from school for a week. He got the line in for his anesthesia without fuss, and I'm proud of him. His kindergarten teacher told me that his class is excited for him for the ice cream and pudding, but many of them think it's too cold to eat popsicles. How cute! I hope he isn't too sore. I remember waking up from my adenoids being removed at age nine. I don't remember any pain, though. So I'm hopeful.

I'm going to update this when he's done. Thank you for your prayers.

He's sore. At first he was in a lot of pain. Like, too much pain to handle it. Then the doctor, with whom I'm very pleased, ordered the anesthetist to give him some pain medicine. He must have ordered the good stuff, because five minutes later, Alex was calm and still. Thank God. It was very difficult to watch him suffer. I did, mind you, tell him the same thing that my mom told me when I had my adenoids removed: that I would take his pain for him if I could. It was true, of course, but for some reason, I think that this suffering will make Alex a better person. I wonder if that's true.

He had his pudding and ice cream. He goes back to the doctor tomorrow for a check-up, and again on Tuesday. I'm hoping that he can make it back to school in time for Valentine's day. Isn't that silly of me? 

I was pretty impressed with the whole ordeal. They did't make it as much of one here as they would have in the States.  A little while ago, the doctor called to check on Alex. That was nice.  He also gave me a phone number to call at any time. Also nice.

Again, thank you for your prayers. I'm praying for a good night for him, too.

On the road to recovery
Tuckered out on the short ride home
GRRRRR! He's not going to cry when he gets the needle!
GRRRR!
Just waiting

1 comment: