Tuesday, February 20, 2018

David and I are laughing

So. David says this is what we get for trying not to be the typical Americans by trying to learn the language.

We have been to McDonald's here often enough to know that they have a chicken nuggets menu item that makes sense for us and the kids. The picture on the sign above the cashier calls it the "Hühnglaubliches menu."  David and I have both mastered that very difficult word! But oddly enough, and I just found this out about David, we've both been getting very strange looks when we order it, and have often had the response, "Chicken nuggets?"

Well. After 8 months of being here, I finally just learned (through a news story I was attempting to read along with the help of Google translate) that the word for "unbelievable" is--can anybody guess?--"unglaubliches". So McDonald's was doing a play on words, and it got us. Thanks McDonald's.

When I was in college, Taco Bell had an advertisement that said, "Think outside the bun." I had an Egyptian friend at the time, and one time he told me to think outside the bun. I gently corrected him, but I thought it was so. darn. cute. For some reason, I don't think the Germans have that kind of emotional reaction to my language blunders. Hah. Germans. I'll share our impressions later. I'm building up my thoughts.

Have a great night! (Or day.)

2 comments:

  1. Bahahahaha!!!! I LOVE this - too funny! And yes, also cute! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On another note, that I forgot to include, "huhn" is the German word for chicken. Dave and I kind of thought the compilation was something like "huge amount of chicken". Hahaha.

      Delete