Saturday, February 3, 2018

I love your past, present, and future.

View from Church of the Redeemer
O Israel, hope in Jehovah; For with Jehovah there is lovingkindness, And with him is plenteous redemption.  And he will redeem Israel from all his iniquities. 
(-- Psalms 130:7‭-‬8 ASV https://bible.com/bible/12/psa.130.7-8.ASV)

My title is directed toward Jerusalem again.  I got to visit Jerusalem for about four hours on my last Thursday in Israel. Once again, it was incredible.

I can't do it justice, I'm afraid. It is amazing and fascinating, and most incredibly, Jerusalem is timeless.

I am fascinated by its past. Living in Europe for this short amount of time has given me a new perspective on history. I feel like being here has brought me closer to history. I am more able to imagine people walking the same steps I'm walking, only 700 years earlier. When I go to Jerusalem, it's not only 700 years as most of the museums near me seem to focus (except the archaeological museum, which goes back much further), but 2500+ years. It's awesome.

I am fascinated by Jerusalem's present. Are you watching what's going on? The fact of President Trump moving the embassy to Jerusalem is a BIG deal. Whether you agree with him or his decision or not, this move could have biblical implications. We will wait and see.

I'm most fascinated with Jerusalem's future. Do you see those verses from Psalms in the Bible? God is going to redeem Israel from all his iniquities. 

Redeem.

I visited the Church of the Redeemer in the Old City while I was there. It had a tall tower that we were able to go up and see some great views of Jerusalem. It also had a beautiful congregation area. I wish I could attend a service here. I think it would be beautiful.

I'm thinking about the word redeem and how it applies to me. 

Talking about Jesus Christ, Titus says this: ...who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify for himself a people for his own possession, zealous for good works.
(-- Titus 2:14 WEB https://bible.com/bible/206/tit.2.14.WEB)

Not only is He going to redeem Israel from all iniquities, He is also going to redeem us from all our iniquities. He's going to redeem me.

For what purpose? So that I can belong to Him, and be zealous to do good works.

God's been talking to me about works lately. I think I'm to the point in my life when I have to stop excusing my lack of good works due to the fact of having four little kids. I enjoy doing good works, but I haven't really devoted myself to any since I was the treasurer of a small church in MD before we moved to PA. So now what? This is becoming my latest challenge.

Will you pray for me about it? What are your good works? How do you fit them into your busy life? How can I do good works even while I'm often away from my home base for the work that pays my salary? These questions are on my mind a lot these days.

I am getting so excited. Mom's ticket is bought and she will be coming in March after I leave. I'm very close to buying Dave's ticket to come while I'm there. He has no idea how good it will be. I mean it. No idea. I'm way more excited about him coming than he is about it. But he'll understand why once he gets there.

And I want to offer this to my female friends and perhaps any of my blood relatives: If you want to share my hotel room so you can visit Israel more cheaply, email or text me. I have my dates between now and until I leave Germany, and it's possible they could work for you.

It's taken me so long to write this. I'm going back soon. I hope the weather is calmer, but no matter what, I know that this is a blessing from God that I surely don't deserve. I will praise Him and worship Him forever.

Delicious falafel
Church of the Holy Sepulchre
On the way
Church of the Redeemer
Also Church of the Redeemer, nearly halfway up
Graduation at the Western Wall
Market mosaic and store
Leather at a market stall

Crazy weather. See the water coming past the pavilions?
It was at this point that I departed for the airport

2 comments:

  1. You got to see a graduation at the Wall? That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were just forming up. I did't get to see the graduation itself.

      Delete