Tuesday, February 5, 2019

On saying yes

"Will you go down to the basement with me and build Legos?" sometimes is translated by me as, "Will you go down to the cold basement and sit on the hard floor and build me a Lego set that I won't appreciate, giving up at least an hour of your life, even though I'll walk away after ten minutes?"

Sometimes "Will you tickle me?" at bedtime sounds like, "I'm going to manipulate this situation so I am up later and longer no matter what you do. We can either do it the fun way or the not fun way, but I'm getting five minutes out of you regardless."

"Can I paint on the window?"

"Can we decorate cookies?"

"Can we play with the sand?"

"Can we do watercolors?"

(Why does it seem like everything is messy?) Lol.

Sometimes I catch myself saying "no" too often. And then I turn it around and say "yes".

It matters to the kids.

2 comments:

  1. So true, Patty! I think saying yes to some of these moments helps also address your last post - because of the care & attention you’re giving your kids (and truly living in & appreciating the moment), in turn - you’re serving God (by taking care of his kids). My perspective anyway ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a good perspective, Nikki! Thank you for sharing that point!

      Delete