Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Hit with gratitude

I've been hit with gratitude today, and it feels a little bit overwhelming.

I think I've been letting the bad things take over my life. Right now I have three people very close to me who have gotten or may be getting a diagnosis on their health that is bad, really bad. Long-term and life-changing bad. I'm here and not there to help or be helped, and it's really been taking a toll on me.

This morning I was practicing my Rodan and Fields story into a voice recorder (seriously, guys, they give excellent training), and I was talking about my job with the Army and how much I love it and the people I work with. My career as a Department of the Army civilian has been so good to me. The people I work with have been and are so good to me. I've learned so much since graduating from college, and I'm sure that even though I'll probably be working for 17 more years (as God wills), I'll be learning new things and enjoying myself most of the time. I love that my future is still so full of possibilities, even at my age. Life is really, really good.

I am TDY (that means on temporary duty--travel), and I called David last night and Lilly answered. What a great little talker she is at 2.5! She just about talked my ears off! I can't help but remember how badly affected Alex was by apraxia of speech at that age, and we didn't even realize it. (I thank God for Jeanette, who recognized it and told us to get him assistance! And I thank God that we took her advice!) I am so thankful that Alex improved as much as he did. He's reading out loud to his classmates, now. Great job to all his teachers since he was little!

The point is, I am hit with gratitude every time I think of my family. Last night, David told me that he napped with Lilly yesterday and woke up disoriented and not knowing what time it was because he is so dang tired. I can imagine! He's at home this week taking care of EVERYTHING. And guess what I'm doing on Saturday after getting home tomorrow? Flying to Madrid to be with my sister for two days!!! Whoop whoop! I love my husband!

Lately I've been overwhelmed by bad news. I've been praying about it and fasting, but still feeling overwhelmed by it.  As I was making my recording earlier, I realized that even though there is bad news in my life, there are also so many good things in my life, and I should not lose sight of them. If you're feeling overwhelmed by bad news, try to remember to get through one day at a time. If one day at a time is too much (and sometimes even that is too much), get through one morning, one afternoon, one evening, and one night at a time. Remember that this, too shall pass. Remember that God will work all things together for your good, if you allow yourself to bend to his purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment