Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The routine

I'm not so egocentric as to think that you would want to read about my day-to-day. I'm already surprised enough by people who continue to read my blog. But this is for my benefit (unless you're really, very bored).

My morning routine is often brought about much earlier than I intend by one or another of the kids waking me up for various reasons. It is often Lilly wanting my arm (to sleep on), but this morning at 0500, it was Alex, who woke up afraid because Griffin was snoring in a scary manner, and Livvy's bed was creaking because she was also awake and he didn't know it. I told them both to go back to sleep. Livvy did. I'm not sure if Alex did, but he was quiet for the next 45 minutes, at least. Lilly woke up moments before my alarm, and I took her, crying and unhappy, to Daddy to sleep for the morning. Sometimes I snore too loudly to give him peace, and he sleeps in the guest bedroom.

Alex heard Lilly's raucous and wanted to get up, even though he had 25 minutes left to sleep. I let him watch TV while I got his snack, lunch, and the twins' snacks ready for the day. Last night I forgot to have the kids get their clothes ready for today, so I had to do that, too. After I woke the twins up, they both started crying; Livvy because she couldn't find the tag on her underwear to know which way to wear them, and Griffin because he didn't like the pair of pants I had picked for him. I helped Livvy and let Griffin get some other pants. But then Livvy started crying because she wanted to wear a skirt, and Griffin started crying because he couldn't find his shoes. So I told Livvy to wear the skirt she had on yesterday, and I brought Griffin's shoes to him.

This was actually not a rough morning. I gave Alex his cereal before the twins woke up. He was eager to go to school after being off for four days and was good while getting ready. I gave Livvy her cereal and Griffin some oatmeal. Today I didn't have to nag them to hurry up and eat. The twins were also excited to go to school after being off for weeks, since I didn't take them while David was in the hospital last week.

We walk out the door at 0647. But today I was one minute late. But it was okay. We walk to Alex's bus stop where I say a prayer for their safety every day. Alex's bus driver is a dear man, and it occurs to me that I trust him with my kid's life every day he goes to school. The twins and I walk to their kindergarten from Alex's bus stop. It is an improvement over last year because I had the bus stop changed to make more sense for our family. It probably saves me 15 minutes every day. Then I walk home. I usually have 20 minutes to read the Bible or my study book or blog or work on Rodan and Fields. That is my me time for the day.

At about 0750, I get ready for work. I try to be out the door by 0830, but I lolligag and procrastinate, so I am often 15 minutes late to work, but seldom later than that. I make it up by leaving later that day. Work is interesting, or boring, or just busy. It varies from day to day and week to week. Sometimes I go to the German kantine on post with my friend. Sometimes I eat at my desk. Sometimes I run errands like go to the bank, the post office, or the library. Sometimes I go out on post alone for lunch so I can work on Rodan and Fields. I usually end my day around 1730. I often go to the commissary and spend about 30 minutes picking up groceries. Then, if I have planned it right, when I come home, David already has the vegetables chopped and I can prepare dinner, after 3-4 kids jump on me and stomp up and down because they're happy to see me. (Alex is rapidly growing out of this phase--ALREADY?!) Sometimes David greets me, and sometimes he doesn't.

I spend the next hour or so preparing dinner. It's usually 1900 or later by the time we eat. After dinner, if we made it early enough, I try to read with Alex from his book by Coyote Peterson. It is slow going because I find it hard to get him to bed by 1945 so we can take 15 minutes to read. From about 2030 until 2200, I spend time with David and Lilly. We watch TV or play Candyland or have tickle time. But David doesn't really like being tickled anymore. (Lol. Just kidding. He loves it. Just kidding again. I tickle Lilly--usually.) Around 2200, I take Lilly up to bed, but I usually fight with her for an hour until she goes to sleep. Last night it was at least an hour and a half. That is frustrating, right?! But last night, she was farting a lot and then giggling, and it was actually quite funny. Her little giggle is so cute.

I sleep like a log until one of the kids wakes me for various reasons, and then we start over again. I enjoy my weekends when I don't have to wake up at 0545 and do the daily hustle and bustle. I rest on Sundays and even some Saturdays, unless we're traveling. I would like to go to Belgium soon. That's on my short list. But David still needs a break, so I'll hold off from that for a while.

And now it's 0811. I have procrastinated and need to get ready in a hurry. Lol.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a full day! You amaze me with everything you do and have time for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sweet to even read this! I just reread it and--WHEW! Life has already gotten easier now because the girls are sleeping in a bedroom together. What a difference!

      Delete