Wednesday, October 3, 2018

German hospitals

I am at the moment sitting in the waiting room with David so that he can be put on IV antibiotics for his sore throat. The ENT sent him here because she was worried about his breathing with how badly his throat was swollen because of the infection. I think she was also worried that the infection was so bad that he might go septic. Great start to week two of Melissa's vacation.

As you may remember, I had a very good experience with Alex's ENT when they removed his adenoids and put tubes in his ears. Unfortunately, they are closed this week. So I called the referral on their answering service, and they were surgeons, so they gave me another referral. Yesterday I took Livvy to that ENT, and it was absolutely no nonsense, easy to get antibiotics, and probably cost less than my copay. Today David needed to go, and she took one look at him and sent him here, to Helios kliniken, about a mile and a half away from our house.

It is intimidating because of the language barrier and the general culture of no customer service whatsoever. The woman at the information both told us to walk to Brauchzentrum. They told us to go to HNO. HNO ignored us for ten minutes, and then told us to go down the hall and sit in the waiting room, which is already populated with 4 other patients. The prescription that the doctor wrote said, "Please put him on IV antibiotics (specific type)." That's all it said, other than his diagnosis, which appears to be peritonsillitis, or something to that effect. Of course, nothing will be done in a hurry here. We will be in the dark up to and including when they discharge him. The doctors are all fluent in English and usually very kind, but too busy to communicate, as you could imagine. They have inexpensive healthcare here for sure, but they don't seem to care very much about their patients.

That's probably not true. They don't seem to care if their patients are in pain or suffering if they can't do anything about it, but generally I think they want to see you get well. They're just very matter-of-fact about suffering.

Oh by the way, while we're sitting here right now, my stomach is cramping and I'm feeling sick. Last night I vomited up everything I had possibly eaten yesterday. Livvy was also sick last night. Melissa is currently at home with the kids. I surely feel bad for her. We had all these great plans and haven't been able to carry out a single one of them. In fact, I should be calling Edelweiss Lodge right now and cancelling our reservation. It's just that David wants to go to Oktoberfest so bad that he's not ready to give up on it. I imagine I will lose a night's stay over this. Hopefully not, and hopefully no more than that. Time will tell.

...Doktor G. walked in with his white coat and his white shoes with green alligators and rapid-fired some questions in German to David, who looked at me weakly for help. I asked the doctor to speak English, but I still needed to be there to handle some interpretation. The doctor got out this long skinny tool and started cleaning it. It looked ominous to me, but he mostly just used it to gag David and look down his throat. His conclusion, after prodding and poking for ten minutes, was that David needs an IV antibiotic, and they would get him a bed. They would look at him again later to see if he will need a tonsillectomy, after all.

That was an hour ago. For some reason, I thought this part would go a bit faster, after the doctor verified that a bed was indeed needed. David and I are sitting in the waiting room kind of quietly. What's to be said? My stomach is still unsettled, although I've only gotten sick once since being here. We were able to cancel our reservation at Edelweiss Lodge without a charge, provided I can get a doctor's note.

After 5 hours of being here, David is in a private room.  I hope the insurance covers it like normal.  I won't know until I submit the claim and get it approved or rejected.  One of the doctors laughed and said, "What did the doctor tell you? You'll be here for 4 or 5 days." Surprise, surprise!

Man, the last 2.5 weeks have been pretty terrible for us. I'm waiting for things to get better. I know they will, but I'd certainly like it to happen sooner rather than later.  Once again, I'm thankful for my friends and family back home who encourage and pray for me, and for my friends here who help when I really need it.  I'll tell you, I know some good people.  Thank God for you all.  Please keep praying for us!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... one thing after another!! When we were in Chile everything always seemed harder, took longer, didn't make sense, send me someplace for them to send me somewhere else... is it the same here?? We just don't have the communication barriers here to add that extra stress/process?? It's hard... Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hard, so hard! But we got through it!

    And do we? I really don't think it's like that in the U.S. It doesn't feel like it is, anyway!

    ReplyDelete