Friday, August 3, 2018

The In Between

All of those posts about my/our travel with my sister STILL don't cover everything we did together. In between all of that, we also went to Frankfurt, Wiesbaden, Mainz, Burg Eltz, and Opelbad (an outdoor swimming pool with a schnelle slide and a nice view of Wiesbaden).  We also had a birthday, got a mohawk, went to a birthday party, went to a festival, and just in general had a really enjoyable month.

I finally got to go to Wiesbaden when the Protestant church was open. St. Stephen's church in Mainz is still high among my favorites, and Römer plaza is always lovely, especially on a bright day.  I was disappointed with Burg Eltz for a few reasons: it was far away and a pain to get to, you weren't allowed to take pictures inside, and you only got to see about a third of the castle, if that.  The birthday party that Livvy attended was an invite from a friend in her class, where I learned that in Germany, you only invite the kids who you want to come, not everybody in the class, which makes my life much easier when the twins' birthday comes around.  The swimming pool was fabulous and has made me want to visit other similar pools nearby.  Alex is adorable in his mohawk, yet at the same time, getting to be such a boy, as opposed to a little boy.  Soon he will be 7!  The festival we attended was the German-American Friendship Fest, which we had attended last year.  So for me, that really hit home that we have been here a year (now more).  That was a pretty big milestone for me.

Summer is going by so quickly! But I'm happy with the sights I've seen so far and what I have planned (or tentatively planned). It's been a good year, and I'm anticipating more goodness. God willing. He has certainly blessed us so far!

Can't wait until my friends Nikki and Riley come next week!! But I do hope it cools down a little bit. It's been in the mid-nineties for a few weeks now, with no air conditioning (except for me at work and the window unit we put in our bedroom)! Ugh! So much for the weather being milder than Pennsylvania!

Birthday girl turned 2!


I told Michelle this is one of my favorites, and she said something to the effect of, "Too bad it's cracked."

I told her to take a closer look.  This is the window in the Mainz Cathedral.

Our little buddy had been asking for a haircut for a while.


Think he likes it?

St. Stephen's Church in Mainz.  I need to bring my monopod the next time I come.




The Protestant Church in Wiesbaden.  

Stained glass at the church in Wiesbaden.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Hard to believe you’ve been there for over a year now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sure did do a lot in a small amount of time! I enjoyed Burg Eltz but was a bit disappointed about the purpose of the castle which was I guess just to show off wealth and status. Interesting and beautiful, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how big all the kids are!! Love Alex's Mohawk too. Crazy you've been there a year! You've done so many fun things and so many more coming up, enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe we've been here a year either! Now we're down to less than a year, and I am REALLY starting to feel pressure to up my travel game. Isn't that crazy? But I'm also so tickled with everything we've seen so far. And more to come, God willing!

    ReplyDelete