Sunday, September 3, 2017

Baltic Sea or bust!

On Thursday we left for our first big trip, heading to the Baltic Sea. First of all, let me just tell you that I was using three different apps and searching everywhere on the internet, and I had the hardest time finding a place up north that would accommodate all six of us. I settled on a place 20 minutes away from the beach.

My plan was to leave around 10:00 and drive halfway if the kids were being good. I was going to stop at Hannover and maybe do some sightseeing while there. The kids were doing so well, though, that I actually drove much further. We made it all the way to a town called Lübeck. I hadn't made reservations for Hannover because I wanted the flexibility. I knew I was taking a risk, but I was also willing to split the family up between two rooms for just one night. We did fill up once. Gas prices were shocking! Dave took a picture for the record.

First David called a hotel to see what their price would be. We were quoted two rooms for €123 each. That was substantially more than I wanted to pay. So I told Dave we would try a gasthaus. We were blessed to stop at Hotel Herrenhof on the first try. They were able to give us two rooms on the same floor, and gave us a rate that was within my expectations. The hotel was clean and comfortable and spacious enough even for Lilly's pack'n'play. It also appears that it was located in a city that is worth a visit. I don't know, though, because we didn't take the time to do that. I think if we go to the North Sea next year as I'd like, we'll plan for two nights at the same gasthaus and visit the city of Lübeck.
Near the hotel, David found an all-you-can-eat Greek buffet called Restaurant Kreta. Why have I never seen one of those before? It was good and they didn't mind the big family at all, so we'll probably go there again next year if we end up in that area again.

Sleep went as expected with the kids, and we had a pleasant German breakfast and then left town. I hadn't successfully made contact with the owner, yet, to arrange to pick up the key, but I wasn't too concerned. We only had a two hour drive to the housing, so we drove to a town called Stralsund. Beautiful little town that we decided to visit for lunch and go shopping in. You see, I had done a typical Patty thing. I had packed the suitcase for the kids on Monday. By the time we left on Thursday, I had forgotten about it completely. Left it beside the bed. Not only did the kids have no clothes for vacation, they had no swimsuits for the beach. Honestly, it's so typical of me that I don't even get mad anymore. And neither (thank the good Lord) does David. He knows!

Of course, the town was beautiful but the parking garage was not. I had no misgivings about having Dave park the van. We exited that parking garage through a sort of tunnel into an empty lot. I said to Dave, how are we ever going to find this place again? I snapped a couple of pictures. We went shopping. Then we were going to eat lunch at a burger joint in town, but they had giant expensive hamburgers and no kids menu, so that wasn't going to work. So I thought we would choose a place to eat on our way to the van...

Which we never found.

Okay, okay. I'm telling the story from home, and eventually we found it. But we walked in circles for at least an hour. That beautiful town looked the same everywhere! Everyone was hungry and we were anxious to get going to the beach. The kids and Dave all were complainy and grumpy, so I finally deposited them at a Subway. And I'm not kidding, minutes after I relieved myself of the stress of taking care of the whole family, I found the van. Did I say that we walked for at least an hour!!!?? Probably more. I deposited the weekend's worth of brand new clothes in the van and went back to the Subway. We had to get groceries and check in before going to the beach. Which we actually did pretty smoothly. But our misadventure due to my stupidity resulted in the fact that the only thing that we did at the beach that day was watch the sunset.

That was pretty.

I told the kids we would go to the beach and watch the sunset. Alex asked, "Is that all we're doing?" He was taking it so literally it was cute. Of course, they played in the sand while I watched them and the sunset. It was certainly an enjoyable evening after we got over the disappointment of losing the van and forgetting the luggage.  Then back to the place where I had reservations, in a town called Fuhlendorf. We'll talk about that next.

Shocking gas prices!
The lovely Hotel Herrenhof
Two tired girls after a long day in the van
Stralsund 1
Stralsund 2
Stralsund

3 comments:

  1. Ahh you forgot the suitcase! I love that it didn't stress you out...you'll be able to look back on all these things with a laugh and smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I will ever laugh about this kind of thing! It's so annoying about me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done things like that. I just chalk it up to having more interesting things to think about.

    ReplyDelete