Sunday, July 7, 2019

Luxembourg



I'm sitting in the train this morning feeling, once again, grateful. This time to David, who graciously gave me the day to take a trip to Luxembourg alone. I miss the family when I do this, but the sightseeing is so much better!

It was, without the kids, a 25-minute walk to the train station. I had time to get my piping-hot coffee and pain au chocolat, and will enjoy those on the 2.5-hour ride to Koblenz. Then I will have a 1-hour layover, which means I will get to see a little bit of Koblenz. And then there will be another 1.5-hour train ride to Luxembourg, where I'll spend about 5.5 hours. What a great day it will be!

Meanwhile, David, who worked very hard all week getting groceries on foot, keeping up with laundry, and entertaining the kids with trips to multiple playgrounds and multiple play dates, will take the kids bowling (always a painful experience, lol) and to the PX for the food court and some browsing. Thank you, Husband!!

... And now my walk is done! The train was quite an ordeal getting here. There was a technical malfunction on one of the trains which resulted in everyone planning to go further than Trier riding a bus to the final destination. For me, it was about 30 minutes later than planned, which wasn't bad. It would have been difficult with the whole family, though, because the bus was packed and I barely got a seat. I definitely wouldn't have been able to get in that bus if I'd had the family along. Thus far, it looks like my return trip will be as scheduled, but I'm not very confident because it seems like DB is updating the schedule when it's too late for passengers to adjust. We'll see.

Koblenz was very pretty! I didn't have much time, but I used it to walk 50 minutes round-trip to a church, which was beautiful. I did go in, but it was Saturday morning mass, so I didn't walk around or take pictures inside. The outside is so pretty too, though!

I had gorgeous weather for my half-day in Luxembourg. I basically walked around on foot for about 3.5 hours. Then I had a delicious lunch at a French restaurant. It was the best cordon bleu I've ever had. That gravy!!

I'm so happy I had a chance to visit Luxembourg, but in case you're wondering, it didn't change my favorites list. Luxembourg was interesting because it is somewhat small (120,000 compared with Wiesbaden at about 300,000), but walking around today made it seem very diverse! I think most people I saw today were tourists, but I didn't notice any Americans other than me. People were pretty friendly. I sat down at one restaurant and the guy said something to me and I said, "Merci." Then another guy came out and gently told me that they were closing. Wups! I thought he had said sit wherever you like. But then I realized I did indeed hear the word "ferme" and maybe could have recognized it if I'd been paying attention and expecting it.

That's okay. They were friendly.

I wonder if this is my very last trip in Europe? I wonder how David would feel if I brought up Frankfurt and the Schirn museum one last time?! I might yet!

Church in Koblenz
View during train ride. Absolutely gorgeous
Church in Luxembourg


State building in Luxembourg.
Pretty alleyways like this were all over the place
Ruins in Luxembourg
The delicious "biscuit cake" I had at a French restaurant
More beautiful scenery on the train ride home, near Kaub, Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment