Monday, June 11, 2018

Pisa

The kids were pretty excited about getting to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa because of seeing it on The Little Einsteins. Anyone else love that show? I love that it introduces the kids to classical musical and they don't even know it.

Anyhow, before we had left, I had made an agreement with David that I would drive us there and back, but he would drive during our excursions. Oh by the way, I never mentioned this to him, so I guess I can't really say I made an agreement with him about it. But that is the way it worked out. I had three excursions planned: 1) Pisa 2) Florence 3) A nearby lake. We were also planning to walk to a castle in the town in which we were staying. For a week-long visit, that might not sound like much. It doesn't to me, to be honest. But I've had to tone down and simplify my vacations, first because of David, and now because of the little kids.

So on our third day in Italy, we were heading to Pisa. It was a hot but beautiful day. I'd had no intention of climbing the tower itself. Lilly was on my back, and everyone was still a little bit weary from the travel and from getting how you get when you sleep in a new place. I just wanted to see the buildings and walk around.

I'd researched parking in advance. It's always an issue because I need a space big enough to fit the Caravan. The recommendations online were spot-on. We had about a 15-minute walk to the center from where we parked. I got a little bit turned around once and ended up in a dead end. An older man saw us and pointed us in the right direction, in Italian. He didn't care at all that we didn't speak Italian. He just motioned and exclaimed and made sure we were going the right way. He was helpful and such a delight!

But because of getting turned around, the walk ended up being more like 20 minutes, and for the hot and thirsty kids, it was taking FOREVER (their words).  You can already guess what we did to appease them. Yes. We got drinks and chicken nuggets at McDonald's. (Well there was no Chick Fil A nearby.) That improved their attitudes and allowed me to enjoy a sight I never before had thought I would see.

I really enjoyed my first view of the tower. From our direction, it was creeping out there just in sight, sort of looking mischievous like it was playing peek-a-boo with the other buildings. Everything was incredibly ornate. The buildings were light and bright, not like the Gothic style we see so much in Germany (which I love). It was fascinating.

When we first got there, a couple had been photographing the buildings and taking selfies, but they turned and saw us and asked me if they could take a picture of my kids. How cute! They were dark-skinned of course. My guess would be from India. Of course I let them, and Livvy was my pride and was sweet to them and let the lady lean in to her and smiled for their camera.

It was such a great day. The sunshine was so nice even though it was warm. The sights were awesome. The kids, for the most part, were so good. Lilly seems to like the backpack pretty well. She gets right in it without a fuss at all. I enjoyed myself so much. I hope we made good memories for the kids.




Some amazing details


I'll need this to remind them all that they've been here before.

3 comments:

  1. So pretty!! I was surprised by the duomo - I guess I wasn’t expecting it to be so pretty? Great pictures :) And that sounds like a great itinerary in a week with kids! Florence alone is hard to do in just a few days. Can’t wait to hear about your other stops!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty amazing! I was thrilled just to go there.

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to make the trip. The kids sound like they're enjoying themselves and are great travelers.

    ReplyDelete