Sunday, June 17, 2018

A lake and a castle

The town of Sarteano, as seen from its castle
I get tired of staying, then I go pretty hard. (Then I get just plain tired.)

We took a rest day after going to Pisa. It was good for all of us, because it allowed the kids time to play a lot, and it gave me time to play with my GoPro 5 that I had gotten from David for Christmas. I enjoyed that quite a bit.

But by the afternoon of the next day, I was getting cabin fever. The weather had been a little bit rainy, but I decided we should take the time to go to a lake that I had seen on the map, Lake Trasimeno. It was a giant lake, but it was very rainy and very windy, so we literally drove there, snapped a couple of photos, and left. It's okay. I got a nice rainbow shot while we were driving (and shared it in my first post about Italy).

The next day, we had a bit of trouble getting everyone moving, but we decided to visit the castle in the small town where we were staying. The town was called Sarteano, and it was lovely. The castle was impressive. It was very very old. According to one website, the oldest information concerning the castle is dated to 1038, and it refers to a deed of assignment drawn up inside the walls of the central keep. It was basically impregnable, and withstood numerous siege attempts. I understood why as we climbed up to it!

Of course, I had Lilly on my back again, and it was a hot day. The kids mostly seemed to enjoy themselves as we were the only ones we saw walking up to it, and they could do some exploring along the green path and dirt road. It felt so good to get out and do some hiking. It wasn't a far distance, but being outside with the kids and David in the sunshine really felt just right.

We did enjoy the castle so much. The story of Pinocchio originated in Tuscany, so the castle had some Pinocchio pictures hanging. Overall, we enjoyed the thick walls and the cavernous spaces. I enjoyed the view of Sarteano most of all. It was a really great day. When we climbed back down, we stopped at the Pegaso for some gelato. It had been recommended to us by our German "neighbor" at the camp as the best gelato in town. Oh. My. Goodness. We were going to have to go back there again!

So far, Italy was turning out to be a GREAT family vacation.

Lake Trasimeno
Walking up to the castle (notice that David is carrying my purse, since I have the heavy baby.)
The Sarteano Castle
At the entrance
Inside looking out
Pinocchio and bread.  Wasn't quite sure what this was about.
I'm not sure why she gets so tired riding in the backpack
So easy
to make these kids
this happy.  💛

1 comment: