Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Masada and the Dead Sea!

I went to Masada and the Dead Sea today.

That sentence is so insignificant to write, but doing those two things today was very significant for me.

I find myself again in that place where I feel like I am receiving special blessings from God.  What do you think about that? Are you so happy for me? Are you jealous of my adventure? Are you envious that I can just go out there and do this without any qualms?

Well I certainly hope not, and I suspect that if you were, you wouldn't be reading this, so that's good. But sometimes I wonder what is the right amount to talk about this. It's not like I had to spend my money to get here. I think my whole day yesterday cost me about 100 NIS (New Israeli Shekels), and that includes the best hot roast beef sandwich I've ever had in my life. The beef was even better than I make it at home. Happy surprise.

So, if you're still reading in spite of myself (or perhaps yourself), I'll confess that I have qualms about all of this. I've said before that David and I won't know if moving to Germany was a good or bad decision until we get home. Not really. But even while I am away from home for these three weeks, I find it a little bit stressful. What if tragedy strikes?

God is no less in charge if tragedy strikes in Pennsylvania, in Wiesbaden, or in Jerusalem. But for some reason, I feel like if something were to happen to me, David, or the both of us while we were on this adventure, people in my life would blame me. So far, everything has gone exactly as I'd hoped for (except the big move, you know, but that's insubstantial to the big picture). Even Alex's surgery being here was, I think, better than doing it in the States. But only time will tell.

My mom is coming tomorrow to help David with the kids. He's certainly had a rough week and a half. Lilly was running a fever again and was not herself for a few days. A package we received got flagged by customs and David had a hard time getting it settled because the customs officer injured himself and wasn't in his office during his posted hours. One of David's packages got lost by the post office on post, and he has to file a claim with legal. The people who were supposed to come by to fix the broken furniture didn't show up, then rescheduled for the next week. And then, just the everyday life of being the sole caregiver for four little kids. Whew! I'm proud of him. And although I don't really want to be away for three weeks, I'm going to make the best of it.

I had such a wonderful day at Masada and the Dead Sea. It was incredible. I got to see Herod's palace. King Herod! From the Bible! The bad guy, you know?!?! That was wonderful. I was enjoying myself so much, that even after traipsing around for three hours, I didn't want to leave! And as if just being there wasn't enough, on our way down from Masada, while walking to the car, we saw a family of ibexes, including some babies.

It was so incredible that, if given the opportunity to go again this week-end, I will! And I might be doing it. Going a second time will help me enjoy it even more. Going once is a little overwhelming because there's so much to see. I didn't really have time to pay attention to details. I'm hoping that if I go again, I will, whether to the Dead Sea, or Masada, or both. Time will tell.

No word on Dave's passport. We still have hope based on what the passport officer says. Time will tell on that one, too.

Are you still praying for us?!

On the way to Masada
King Herod's Palace
King Herod's Palace
At Masada outside of the palace
An ibex close up
Mandatory floating photo
Just how dead is the Dead Sea?
Camels!

4 comments:

  1. The obligatory floating picture! ;)
    Did I tell you the Dead Sea is dying? It's drying up. I forget now the circumstances, but Israel and Jordan are trying to work together to revitalize it (add more water).
    Next time I go to Israel (ha,ha) I'm going to wander off to look at the palace. All that work and he never got to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know he didn't get to go! Yes, I did know about the Dead Sea dying, though. So sad! I hope they figure it out!

      Delete
  2. I think it’s such a great opportunity your family is getting living abroad (think of the widened perspective your kiddos will have, especially Alex)! Plus, I love reading your posts to live vicariously through you & make my future travel plans/to-do lists. Haha! The Israel trips are unreal!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely add Israel to your list. It is so amazing!

      Delete