Friday, November 17, 2017

Trier, Germany

Trier, Germany was every bit as awesome as I expected it to be. It rained the entire day but was still incredible. We saw the Porta Nigra, a coliseum, and a good part of town since we walked to the coliseum. There was a march or protest, which I pulled the family away from for our safety, thanks to the training I get as an Army civilian.

We were all pretty tired by the end of the day, but it was a good day for sure. Some stores were already decorated for Christmas, so that sparked my Christmas spirit. And the windows were pleasant to see. I am really starting to get excited for the Christmas markets here, and most of all for my mom's visit. It's going to be great to have her here for three whole weeks! I have a lot to look forward to. This is my favorite season.

...Alex sometimes has a hard time waking up in the morning, and I still feel so bad for him about it. This morning was one of those mornings, but I told him we're putting up the tree this weekend. Then a little bit later I told him I'll bet he's looking forward to summer, and he said no, he was looking forward to Christmas. I know he's okay, but in a way this will be a rough two years for him.

I had a good experience last week at the grocery store. A man came up to me and started talking to me in German, and I understood him! Woo hoo! I didn't converse but I was happy to actually understand him. Other things are still lost in translation, though. I'm building up that list! I had been a little bit discouraged about it, but I think I'm back on for trying. In fact, I think I'll open up Duolingo right now!

I love and miss my friends and family! Just thought you should know.



Outside of Porta Nigra

Porta Nigra
Coliseum
Inside Jail Cell at Coliseum
Imagine a prisoner looking out at a crowd
Coliseum: green represents where the crowd would be

Around Trier, Germany








3 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful!! Good for you starting to get better with your German - hooray!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was awesome there! Definitely a must see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, beautiful!! And yay to understanding German!! You’ve learned more than you realized!

    ReplyDelete