Sunday, July 16, 2017

This is how we're doing

This is an email I received from Dave during work earlier this week:

Had an incident with pickles. Got back and as I was unloading...Lilly leaned back and tipped the stroller over breaking a big jar of pickles that Alex wanted.  Juice everywhere.  Mopped up with a towel and guys are to send house keeping up...That sort of fell into disaster quickly.

And that's about what we can expect with 6 people living in 3 rooms plus two small bathrooms. I'll tell you, it wouldn't work at all if it weren't for Dave. He is the king of no chaos and all order, and because of that, I'm not actually losing my mind living in the Wiesbaden Army Lodge.

We haven't been going out as much as I would like, but yesterday we did find a lovely restaurant called Die Hütte. It was pretty much our very first German meal since we've been here, and it was lovely on all accounts! Well, except when Alex knocked over Daddy's beverage and not only wasted the precious contents but also broke the glass. I told the waiter that we really wanted to come back! He was very gracious and said of course we should come back. Dave and I were both thinking, Tomorrow? But of course we did not go back today. Maybe Wednesday.

We have been spending a lot of time at the playground(s) and also going out bug hunting. Ever since we ran across so many snails on one walk home, we've had to satisfy the bug man's desire to bug hunt by walking around catching milkweed bugs (a relative of the boxelder bug?) and handling slugs. Well, Alex handles the slugs. I certainly do not. It's a ton of fun, let me tell you! And then there's the rock chair outside of the bowling alley that the kids have to sit in. Maybe this week we'll try a new adventure at the playground on the post where I work. All kinds of excitement!

I'm eager to get my van, but in spite of my sarcasm, I'm quite content. My colleague, who is one of my predecessors on this rotation and who is leaving next month, said that she's a little bit sad to be leaving because of the novelty of living in Europe. And yes, I confirmed, she meant novelty even after being here for 25 months. So that's pretty exciting and I'm fairly certain we have a lot to look forward to!

All in all, we're doing quite well. Lots to enjoy today and lots to look forward to tomorrow.


Wiesbaden Army Lodge is a great place to stay
Getting ready for a great meal at Die Hutte
These slugs look a lot like poop
That rock the kids have to sit on every single time

1 comment: