Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A fungus among us

So I promised myself that I would show the ugly when it came around. To be truthful, we've had a good dose of easy and pretty since we've been here. (Well, for those of you who saw Alex's bug video in my last post, I wouldn't call that pretty by any means.)

But some difficulty has arisen, as you can see by the first couple of pictures. Alex got a rash first on his head under his hair. It was hard for me to tell what it was, and I admit that at first I thought we had cockroaches in the hotel room. That was Alex's fault! He told me he caught a "fast, brown grasshopper" in the bathroom. And they had just changed out our couch because the old one had a tear in the back which we had not been aware of. Dave suggested that the cockroaches came in with the couch, and in my head, that decided it. Fortunately, I didn't make a huge ugly stink with the hotel service but called them and quietly discussed the situation over the phone. They handled it very well and I continue to be impressed by the hotel staff. The poor boys have been suffering with it for a week, and it wasn't until yesterday that I realized it is probably fungal. We're heading to the doctor's office shortly.

At another point over the weekend, Lilly decided to fall into the coffee table, with her EYE. Great. Thank God, she didn't damage her eye but certainly got a pretty shiner. And Livvy spilled her juice and broke the coffee cup she was using (better alternative to juice glass for her). And Lilly is waking up every hour (literally) of the night. I am not sleeping. I do not handle being tired all that well. It makes me depressed and grumpy. To top it off, it's been raining for 3 days straight.

So that's the ugly. Mostly just complainy stuff that could happen if we were at home in PA, but in PA, we have a lot more help AND a vehicle with which to go to the doctor's office! (For example.)

My van is in Germany! (Can't remember if I said that before.) And I'm planning our first vacation up to the Baltic Sea for 2 nights by way of Hanover, Germany for one night. That is exciting! I am very ready to get out of this lodge. I am not normally the type of person who wants to fast forward a part of life, but I'm pretty sure I could do without these next three weeks. I'm still so thankful for Dave and his excellence in the Lodge, but it's wearing on me. If it's wearing on me, it's probably wearing on everyone else. So keep us in your prayers, please! And thank you for it!

...UPDATE (since I didn't get to post this before I left this morning): We got some medicine for the boys. Alex had, essentially, chiggers in his head, and Griffin has impetigo, which for those of you who don't know is a bacterial infection that can easily be picked up through bug bites or playing in the dirt. So we're nixing the bug hunting for a while.

And we had a nice dinner at Die Hutte again, and this time I got something different and was so happy about it. I'm always so eager to eat that I forget to take food pictures! But that's okay, because what I had tonight was just like a chicken schnitzel dish. It was yummy, but not very pretty.  We had a good break in the weather today and so had a nice walk down to the restaurant. I found another playground when I took the boys to the doctor, so we stopped there on the way home.  And, quite honestly, work is going pretty great and is likely to just keep getting better. God willing.

I miss my friends and family, though. Just thought you should know.
Poor little thing
Kids can be quite gross sometimes. (Sorry, Griffy, if you ever read this later)
Waiting for the doctor
Waiting for the food

First baby swing we've seen since we've been here. Think she likes it?

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! Poor kiddos! At least a fun playground helps to make them happy :)

    ReplyDelete